5 Things You Need to Know Today: Oct. 17
It should be a sunny, fall day today and there's a lot to do.
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. The National Weather Service is calling for a sunny day today, with a high of 66.
2. The Board of Selectmen is meeting tonight at 7 p.m., and the Community Preservation Committee is meeting at 7:30 p.m.
3. The 8-week Raising Challenging Children Workshop begins at Emerson Hospital tonight at 7 p.m.
4. There is a Community Contra Dance tonight at 7:30 p.m. at the Concord Scout House on Walden Street.
5. There are a lot of choices when it comes to watching movies these days: 3-D, Blu-ray, or whatever else becomes the next trend in video optimization. The evolutionary process of modern film began today, Oct. 17, in 1888, when Thomas Edison filed a patent for the first motion picture machine of the modern era — the optical phonograph.