"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. It looks like it's going to be a rainy Labor Day today, as the National Weather Service is forecasting a chance of showers this afternoon. More rain is likely this evening as well.
2. Remember, because of the holiday, town offices are closed today. The trash and recycling pickup schedule will not be affected.
3. Tomorrow is the first day of classes for Concord and Concord-Carlisle public schools. Click here for more district information and parent resources. Check back with Patch later this afternoon for first day of school info.
4. Bring the kids to today for at 11 a.m. The program is free and open to all ages.
5. A lot of people have the day off today, but may not know why. Today, in 1894, just six days after the end of the Pullman Strike, the United States celebrated the first national Labor Day. The holiday was established to recognize the societal contributions of the working class.