More than a month after the town received its summons to Superior Court, officials are preparing for the next steps in the process than has delayed construction of a new high school for just over a year so far.
According to Town Manager Jeff Hull, the town is working on its response to the complaint filed by abutter Gerry O’Reilly in late November. Originally the town was faced with an earlier deadline for that step, but for various reasons they asked for and received an extension to January 16.
Hull said the response, which will be filed jointly by the town and the Attorney General’s office on behalf of the Department of Environmental Protection, tries to make the case as to why the groups do not believe there is merit to O’Reilly’s claim.
In the meantime, a decision must be reached soon on how the town should handle contract bids that are due for some aspects of the school. Those bids are due on January 18, and at that time the town must decide if they should award bids for any of those contracts, or if waiting would make more sense.
“Because the case is before Superior Court, the record is still in the process of being assembled. So there isn’t a whole lot to report at this point,” said Hull. “We are currently in the mode of preparing our response.”
The town was served near the beginning of December on behalf of O’Reilly, and at the time Wilmington officials were researching to see if the final appeal had been filed before the deadline.
As it turned out, the appeal did come in on time. Though the town wasn’t served until the beginning of December, O’Reilly and his attorney, Jeffrey Baker, had turned in their paperwork several weeks earlier.
To catch up on past coverage of the high school appeals, visit Wilmington Patch’s topic page on the subject.