Friday, November 16, 2012
An appliance fire leapt up into the walls of an Elm Street residence before companies from Concord and surrounding towns were called in to battle the blaze.
The call came in reporting a microwave fire already extinguished, but the incident escalated quickly to a second alarm after firefighters found flames licking up the walls toward the attic of the single-family home on Elm Street. That was the scene Friday night in Concord, where the Fire Department, with mutual aid from Acton, Bedford, Lincoln, Maynard and Sudbury went to work on a house fire on near the Acton line. The call came in at 8:14 p.m., according to CFD, and the fire was largely knocked down within the next hour or so, and companies readied to clear and start an investigation by 10 p.m. Three chiefs—from Bedford, Lincoln and Concord—were on the scene, along with dozens of firefighters and several apparatus. Local and state police…
According to scanner reports, the Concord Fire Department has responded to a second-alarm fire on Elm Street. Contrary to reports, as of 9 p.m., dispatch says the fire is not under control yet.
According to scanner reports, the Concord Fire Department, with mutual aid from at least one neighboring community, has responded to a chimney fire on Elm Street that extended to the eaves of the house, eventually causing a second alarm to be struck. As of 9 p.m., fire dispatch said the fire was not under control yet. Scanner reports said there were no injuries reported, and units were requesting a thermal imager to check for hot spots upstairs in the home. Patch is heading to the scene, so check back later this evening for updates as they become available.
Monday, April 4, 2011
Homeowner's birthday ruined by living room fire.
Kathleen Large was celebrating her birthday around 11 p.m. Sunday, and had talked with family members over Skype before heading up to bed. About 10 minutes later, she said, her across-the-street neighbor called to say her house was on fire and to "get out." Large said her bedroom was on the opposite side of the contemporary home in the Conantum section of Concord, so she did not smell smoke from the bedroom. She stood outside the house that swarmed with firefighters and police officers while the fire, that started in the chimney, was doused. "We have fires everyday," said Large. "We always close the doors. We're compulsive about that." She said another neighbor next door came to her door and told her to get out, and called 911. …
Thursday, February 17, 2011
Staff training at library. Artists rally in support.
Library Closings The Concord Free Public Library will be closed from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. tomorrow, Feb. 18, for staff training. This training is rescheduled from its original date of Jan. 21, which was snowed out. The library will be closed for the day, Feb. 21, in celebration of Presidents’ Day. But it is open tonight and you don't want to miss the Thursday Author Series. Our speaker is war correspondent and award-winning journalist Anna Badkhen. The discussion begins at 7:30 in the Periodical Room at the main library. There is no charge. Victim of fire gets support Do you remember the detour along Bedford Street around supper time, Jan. 24? Concord Police blocked traffic from Monument Square to Old Bedford Road, only allowing through …